David K. Tan, M.D, FAAEM, FAEMS
Associate Professor, Emergency Medicine. EMS Section Chief
- Phone: 314-362-7977
- Email: email@example.com
- B.S., Interdisciplinary Studies in Arts & Sciences, Union College, Lincoln, Nebraska 1992
- Medical Degree: Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, California 1997
- Residency: Emergency Medicine, Barnes-Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 2001
- Emergency Medical Technician-Tactical (EMT-T), Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, 2004
Licensure and Board Certification
- State of Missouri
- Diplomate, American Board of Emergency Medicine – Emergency Medicine
- Diplomate, American Board of Emergency Medicine – EMS Medicine
Honors and Awards
- Chief Resident, Emergency Medicine Residency Program, Barnes-Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine, 2000-01
- The National Dean’s List 1989-90, 1990-91, 1996-97
- Fellow, American Academy of Emergency Medicine, 2003-present
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital 2005 Patient Safety and Quality Star Award
- City of O’Fallon, Missouri – 2008 Citizen of Achievement, Public Safety Category
- Distinguished Service Award 2008 – American Medical Response/Abbott EMS
- Certificate of Commendation 2009 – St. Charles County Ambulance District
- Missouri EMS Association Physician of the Year 2011
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital Team Award for Quality Improvement 2011
- Tan DK, Kalina JE, Lewis LM. “Evaluation of EMS Management Training during Emergency Medicine Residency: a 10-year follow-up.” [abstract] Prehosp Emerg Care. Jan 2000 (4)1: 102.
- Kryder GD, Jang TJ, Tan DK. “Factors Associated with EMS reluctance to attempt intubation when indicated.” [abstract] Prehosp Emerg Care. Jan 2004 (8)1: 96.
- Jang TJ, Kryder GD, Char DM, Howell R, Primrose J, Tan DK. “Prehospital Spirituality: How well do we know ambulance patients?” Prehosp Disast Med. 2004;19(4):356-361.
- Heredia O, Tan DK, Henry L, et al. “Knowledge retention of pre-hospital personnel on stroke: Retesting in the St. Louis Emergency Stroke Education Project (SLESEP).” [abstract] Prehosp Emerg Care. Jan 2005 (9)1: 138.
- Ford AL, Connor LT, Tan DK et al. “Resident-based Acute Stroke Protocol is Expeditious and Safe.” Stroke. 2009 Apr;40(4):1512-4.
- Millin MG, Brown LH, Craven CK, Hawkins SC, Tan DK, Piazza GM, Cone DC, Sattin RW. “Evolution of the literature identifying physicians’ roles in leadership, clinical development, and practice of the subspecialty of emergency medical services.” Prehosp Disast Med 2011;26(1):49–65.
- Curfman D, Connor LT, Moy HP, Heitsch L, Panagos P, Lee JM, Tan DK, Ford AL. “Accuracy of EMS-Reported Last Known Normal Times in Suspected Acute Stroke Patients.” Stroke. 2014 Apr;45:1275-1279.
- Lybeck A, Moy HP, Tan DK. “Double Sequential Defibrillation for Refractory Ventricular Fibrillation: A Case Report.” Prehosp Emerg Care. 2015 Oct;19(4):554-557.
- Tan DK, Sedory EJ. “Emergency Airway Adjuncts and the Athletic Trainer.” Athletic Training & Sports Healthcare. 2016 Nov/Dec; (8)6:267-72.
- Tan DK, Mullins ME. “Toxicity, Mercury.” eMedicine Journal. Jul 2001(2)7. Tan DK, Mullins ME. Toxicity, Mercury. eMedicine from WebMD. Updated June 30, 2010. Available at: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1009691-overview.
- Tan DK. “Our Noblest Profession.” Medical Sentinal. 1997(2)3: 110-11. Reprinted in: Bulletin: Journal of the San Bernardino Medical Society. Sept 1997: 13-14.
- Bledsode BE, Braude D, Eckstein M, Gandy WE, Tan DK, Wang H, Wayne M. “Should Paramedics Continue to Intubate?” J Emerg Med Serv. Jul 2010:42-58.
- Tan DK. “EMS at the Healthcare Table: The Role of EMS in Community Paramedicine.” J Emerg Med Serv. Apr 2013:48-50.