Philip Mudd, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emergency Medicine
- Phone: 314-273-1576
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- B.S., Biochemistry, Summa cum Laude, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK. 2006
- Ph.D, Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI. 2011
- M.D., University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI. 2013
- Residency, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH. 2017
Licensure and Board Certification
- Missouri Medical License
- Board Certified in Emergency Medicine
- The Golden Apple Teaching Award, Washington University Emergency Medicine Residency, 2019
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Medical Student Award, 2013
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists Award for Academic Excellence and Achievement, 2008
- Medical Scientist Training Program Fellowship – University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2006
- Barr M. Goldwater Scholar, 2005” to “Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, 2005
- Sir Alexander Fleming Scholar – Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, 2002
Turner JS, Lei T, Schmitz AJ, Day A, Choreño-Parra JA, …, Cruz-Lagunas A, House SL, Zúñiga J, Ellebedy AH, Mudd PA. 2020. Impaired Cellular Immune Responses During the First Week of Severe Acute Influenza Infection. J Infect Dis. 222(7):1235-1244.
Mudd PA, Crawford JC, Turner JS, Souquette A, Reynolds D, …, Presti RM, OHalloran JA, Powderly WG, Thomas PG, Ellebedy AH. 2020. Distinct inflammatory profiles distinguish COVID-19 from influenza with limited contributions from cytokine storm. Sci Adv. In press.
Mudd PA, Hooker EA, Stolz U, Hart KW, Bernstein JA, Moellman JJ. 2020. Emergency department evaluation of patients with angiotension converting enzyme inhibitor associated angioedema. Am J Emerg Med. 2020 Jan 7:S0735-6757(19)30881-2.
Carpenter CR, Mudd PA, West CP, Wilber E, Wilber ST. 2020. Diagnosing COVID-19 in the Emergency Department: A Scoping Review of Clinical Examinations, Laboratory Tests, Imaging Accuracy, and Biases. Acad Emerg Med. 2020 Jun 16:10.1111/acem.14048.
Madsen A, Dai YN, McMahon M, Schmitz AJ, Turner JS, …, Mudd PA, Simon V, Cox RJ, Fremont DH, Krammer F, Ellebedy AH. 2020. Human Antibodies Targeting Influenza B Virus Neuraminidase Active Site Are Broadly Protective. Immunity. 2020 Oct 13;53(4):852-863.e7.
Stadlbauer D, Zhu X, McMahon M, Turner JS, Wohlbold TJ, …, Nachbagauer R, Mudd PA, Wilson IA, Ellebedy AH, Krammer F. 2019. Broadly protective human antibodies that target the active site of influenza virus neuraminidase. Science. 366(6464):499-504.
Mudd PA, Martins MA, Ericsen AJ, Tully DC, Power KA, …, Piatak M, Haase AT, Lifson JD, Allen TM, Watkins DI. 2012. Vaccine-induced CD8+ T cells control AIDS virus replication. Nature. 491(7422):129-133.
Mudd PA, Ericsen AJ, Burwitz BJ, Wilson NA, O’Connor DH, Hughes AL, Watkins DI. 2012. Escape from CD8+ T cell responses in Mamu-B*00801+ macaques differentiates progressors from elite controllers. J Immunol. 188(7):3364-3370.
Mudd PA, Ericsen AJ, Price AA, Wilson NA, Reimann KA, Watkins DI. 2011. Reduction of CD4+ T cells in vivo does not affect virus load in macaque elite controllers. J Virol. 85(14):7454-7459.
Mudd PA, Ericsen AJ, Walsh AD, León EJ, Wilson NA, Maness NJ, Friedrich TC, Watkins DI. 2011. CD8+ T cell escape mutations in simian immunodeficiency virus SIVmac239 cause fitness defects in vivo, and many revert after transmission. J Virol. 85(23):12804-12810.
A complete list of Dr. Mudd’s published work can be found at: