- B.A., Dartmouth College, 1987
- M.D., Emory University School of Medicine, 1994
- Internship: Naval Medical Center San Diego (1994-95)
- Flight Surgery: Naval Operational Medical Institute, Pensacola, FL (1995-96)
- Residency: Emergency Medicine University of Cincinnati (1999-2002)
- Fellowship: Neurological Emergencies, University of Cincinnati (2002-03)
Licensure and Board Certification
- Missouri: Active
- Massachusetts: Active
- Diplomat, American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) 2003-current
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Mission Impact Award for Quality and Systems Improvement, American Heart Association
- 2016 Stroke Care in Emergency Medicine Award, Awarded at the 2016 AHA/ASA International Stroke Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, February 2016
- Top Doctors Award, 2015-2016
- Best Doctors in America, 2015-2016
- Team Award for Quality Improvement (TAQI), 2014
- Team Award for Quality Improvement (TAQI), 2011
- Team Award for Quality Improvement (TAQI), 2011
- Fellow, American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, 2010
- 2009 Rhode Island AHA/ASA Grassroots Volunteer of the Year, 2009
- Fellow, American College of Emergency Physicians, 2008
- Letter of Achievement, 2008
- Recipient, Robert J. Doherty, MD, FACEP EMF/ACEP, ACEP Teaching Fellowship Scholarship, Dallas, TX, 2002-2003
- Chief Resident, Department of Emergency Medicine University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, 2001-2002
- Meritorious Service Medal, 1999
- Cum Laude, 1993-1994
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, 1993-1994
- Recipient, Naval Health Sciences Program Scholarship, 1990-1994
- Panagos PD. Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA): The Initial Diagnostic and Therapeutic Dilemma, AJEM, 2012;30:794-799.
- Special Contributor, 2011 Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support Provider Manual (Professional), American Heart Association, ISBN 978-1-61669-010-6, May, 2011
- Reynolds MR, Panagos PD, Zipfel GJ, Lee JM, Derdeyn CP. Elements of a stroke center. Tech Vasc Interventional Rad.2012 Mar;15(1):5-9.
- PD Panagos, et al. Four Evolving Strategies in the Emergency Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke. Emergency Medicine Practice. July 2012;Volume 14 (7): 1-28.
- Panagos PD. Implications of early and accurate imaging for suspected transient ischemic attack. Correspondence. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2012;30(9): 2075.
- Ford AL, Williams JA, Spencer M, McCammon C, Khoury N, Sampson T, Panagos P, Lee JM. Reducing Door –to-Needle Times using Toyota’s Lean Manufacturing Principles and Value Stream Analysis. Stroke. 2012 Dec;43(12):3395-8.
- Heitsch LE, Panagos PD. Treating the Elderly Stroke Patient: Complications, Controversies, and Best Care Metrics. Clin Geriatr Med 29 (2013): 231-255.
- Scott PA, Meurer WJ, Frederiksen SM, Kalbfleisch JD, Xu Z, Haan MN, Silbergleit R, Morgenstern LB, for INSTINCT Investigators. A Multilevel intervention to increase community hospital use of alteplase for acute stroke (INSTINCT): a cluster-randomized controlled trial. Lancet Neurol. 2012 Dec 20.pii: S11474-4422 (12)70311-3
- Broderick JP, Palesch YY, Demchuck AM, Yeatts SD, Khatri PK, Hill MD, Jauch EC, Jovin TG, et al. Endovascular Therapy after Intravenous t-PA versus t-PA Alone for Stroke. N Engl J Med. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1214300.
- Khartri P, Broderick JP, Grotta JC, Kasner SE, Kim D, Meyer BC, Panagos PD, Romano J, Scott P. Review, Historical Context, and Clarifications of the NINDS rt-PA Stroke Trials Exclusion Criteria: Part 1: Rapidly Improving Stroke Symptoms. Stroke . 2013. Published Online July 11, 2013.
- Hill MD et al for the IMS3 Investigators. Alberta Stroke Program Early Computed Tomography Score to Select Patients for Endovascular Treatment. IMS-III Trial. Stroke. 2013;45:444-449.
- Liebeskind DS et al for the IMS III Investigators. Collaterals at Angiography and Outcomes in the Interventional Management of Stroke (IMS) III Trial. Stroke. 2014. Published online January 28, 2014.
- Curfman D, Connor LT, Moy HP, Heitsch L, Panagos PD, Lee JM, Tan DK, Ford AL. Accuracy of Emergency Medical Services-Reported Last Known Normal Times in Patients Suspected with Acute Stroke. Stroke. Published online March 18, 2014.
- Biller J, Sacco RL, Albuquerque FC, Demaerschalk BM, Fayad P, Long PH, Noorollah LD, Panagos PD, Schievink WI, Schwartz NE, Shuaib A, Thaler DE, Tirschwell DL; on behalf of the American Heart Association Stroke Council. Cervical arterial dissections and association with cervical manipulative therapy: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association [published online ahead of print August 7, 2014]. Stroke. doi: 10.1161/STR.0000000000000016.
- Joseph P. Broderick, MD, Yuko Y. Palesch, PhD, Andrew M. Demchuk, MD, Sharon D. Yeatts, PhD, Pooja Khatri, MD, Michael D. Hill, MD, Edward C. Jauch, MD, Tudor G. Jovin, MD, Bernard Yan, MD, Rüdiger von Kummer, MD, Carlos A. Molina, MD, Mayank Goyal, MD, Mikael Mazighi, MD, PhD, Wouter J. Schonewille, MD, Stefan T. Engelter, MD, Craig Anderson, MD, PhD, Judith Spilker, RN, BSN, Janice Carrozzella, MSN, APRN, RT(R), L. Scott Janis, PhD, Lydia D. Foster, MS, Thomas A. Tomsick, MD, for the Interventional Management of Stroke III Investigators. Evolution of Practice During the Interventional Management of Stroke III Trial and Implications for Ongoing Trials. Stroke. October 2014
- Hongyu A, Ford A, Chen Y, Zhu H, Ponisio R, Kumar G, Modir-Shanechi A, Khoury N, Vo K, Williams J, Derdeyn C, Diringer M, Panagos P, Powers P, Lee JM, Lin W. Defining the Ischemic Penumbra using Magnetic Resonance Oxygen Metabolic Index Stroke. 2015;46:982-988.
- SAEM Neurologic Emergencies Interest Group Writing Group. The Emergency Medicine Debate on tPA for Stroke: What is Best for Our Patients? Efficacy in the First Three Hours. Academic Emergency Medicine Online Publication, June 25, 2015
- Can we augment stroke thrombolysis? The use of magnetically-Enhanced Diffusion (MED (TM)) of intravenous tPA in Acute Ischemic Stroke Bladin C, Levi, C, Parsons, M, Campbell, B, Panagos, P, Derdyn, C, Creighton, F. International J Stroke. Sep 2015;10(3): 18-19.
- Contributing Author, 2015 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care for Healthcare Providers. American Heart Association (First Print November 2015), ISBN 978-1-61669-397-8.
- Goyal M, Hoff B, Williams J, Khoury N, Wiesehan R, Heitsch L, Panagos P, Vo K, Benzinger T, Derdeyn C, Lee JM, Ford A. A streamlined hyperacute MRI protocol identifies tPA-eligible stroke patients when clinical impression is stroke mimic. Submitted to Stroke 10/15.
- Panagos PD, Chee K. Management of TIA and Stroke in the Emergency Department. In Roppolo LR, Rosen P, Davis D, Kelly S (eds). Emergency Medicine Handbook: Clinical Concepts for Clinical Practice. Mosby Elsevier, 1st Edition, 2006.
- Panagos PD. Airshow Disasters. In: Practical Approach to Disaster Medicine and Terrorist Events. Editor Greg Ciottone. Mosby Elsevier; 1st edition, 2006
- Panagos PD (Special Contributor). ACLS for Experienced Providers. Manual and Resource Text. American Heart Association. 2013. ISBN 978-1—61669-313-8.
- Panagos PD. Airshow Disasters. In: Practical Approach to Disaster Medicine and Terrorist Events. Editor Greg Ciottone. Mosby Elsevier; 2nd edition, 2016
Other Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Panagos PD. Book Review: Emergency Imaging by Jeffrey GB. J Emerg Med 2001;20(3): 336-37.
- Panagos PD. Book Review: Emergency Radiology by Schwartz DT. J Emerg Med 2001;20 (3): 335-36.
- Panagos PD. Book Review: Principles and Practice of Emergency Neurology: Handbook for Emergency Physicians. Edited By Shah SM and Kelly KM. Ann Emerg Med 2004;44(3): 291-292.
- Panagos PD. Barnes-Jewish Hospital Applies Lean Methodology to Acute Stroke Care, Maximizing Resources and Slashing Door-to-Needle Times. ED Management. February 2013: Vol. 25 (2): 13-17.
- Panagos PD. Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine Journal Club Podcast. Released June 26, 2015. http://emjclub.com/podcast/endovascular-therapies-in-stroke