- B.A., St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO 1996
- M.D., St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO 2000
- Residency, Emergency Medicine, Barnes-Jewish Hospital St. Louis, MO 2008
- Chief Resident, Emergency Medicine, Barnes-Jewish Hospital St. Louis, MO 2008
Licensure and Board Certification
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support Provider
- Permanent Missouri Medical License
- Society of Critical Care Medicine, Fundamentals of Critical Care Support Instructor
Honors and Awards
- Pre-Medicine Scholars Program, Saint Louis University, 1992-96
- Dean’s List, Saint Louis University, 1992-96
- USMC Platoon Leadership Course Juniors- Special Achievement and Superior Physical Performance Awards, 1994
- Employee of the Year, Hidden Valley Ski Resort, 1994-95
- Member of Alpha Sigma Nu-National Jesuit Honor Society, 1995
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1996
- Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program, 1997-2000
- Naval Officer Indoctrination Course, graduated with Military Distinction and awarded “Outstanding Drill Leader.”, Naval Basic Officer Leadership Course, 1997
- Four Rescue Citations for Meritorious Service- issued by the Boeing Company for emergent management of civilian patients aboard the HH-46 military helicopter, U.S. Navy Flight Surgeon, 2001-04
- Excellent Patient Care the Stroke Team: tPA within 3hr window for ischemic CVA., 2006-2005
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists Award for Excellence in Medication-Use Safety. Co-recipient of $50,000 award for multidisciplinary teamwork and demonstration of significantly improved patient outcomes via standardization of sepsis care., 2007
- Chibnall JT, Call CB, Jeral JM, Holthaus C. Student religiosity and attitudes toward religion in medicine at a private Catholic medical school. Fam Med. 2000 Feb; 32(2):1028.
- Otero RM, Nguyen HB, Huang DT, Gaieski DF, Goyal M, Gunnerson KJ, Trzeciak S, Sherwin R, Holthaus CV, Osborn T, Rivers EP. Early goal-directed therapy in severe sepsis and septic shock: concepts, controversies, and contemporary findings. Chest 2006 Nov; 130(5):1579-95. PMID: 17099041.
- Holthaus C, Green J. Early Goal-Directed Therapy: invasive resuscitation can saves lives. Emergency Physician Monthly. June Edition, 2008.
- Holthaus CV, Cannon C, Elkin R, Nguyen HB. Can my severe sepsis and septic shock patients wait any longer? Ann Emerg Med. 2009 Jul; 54(1):135-6.
- Cannon CM, Holthaus CV, Zubrow MT, Posa P, Gunaga S, Kella V, Elkin R, Davis S, Turman B, Weingarten J, Milling TJ Jr, Lidsky N, Coba V, Suarez A, Yang JJ, Rivers EP. The GENESIS Project (GENeralized Early Sepsis Intervention Strategies): A Multicenter Quality Improvement Collaborative. J Intensive Care Med. 2013 Nov-Dec; 28(6):355-68. PMID: 22902347.
- Cannon CM, Holthaus CV, Rivers EP. Response from the Authors. J Intensive Care Med. 2014 Jan-Feb;29(1):54. PMID: 23753234.
- Dettmer M, Holthaus CV, Fuller BM. The Impact of Serial Lactate Monitoring on Emergency Department Resuscitation Interventions and Clinical Outcomes in Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock: An Observational Cohort Study. Shock. 2014 Aug 30. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 25186838.