- AA: University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 1972
- Medical Degree: University of Miami Medical School, Miami, Florida 1976
- Residency: Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 1979
Licensure and Board Certification
- Emergency Medicine
- Internal Medicine
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Presentation, 4th International Symposium on Intracranial Hemodynamics: Transcranial Doppler and Cerebral Blood Flow
- Pastoral Care Award, The Feast of St. Luke (1993)
- Outstanding Consultant Award, Annals of Emergency Medicine (1996)
- American College of Emergency Physicians’ John A. Rupke Lifetime Achievement Award (2012)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (2015)
- Jang T, Aubin C, Naunheim R, Lewis LM, Kahi AH. Jugular Venous Distension on Ultrasound: Sensitivity and Specificity for Heart Failure in Patients with Dyspnea. Am J Emerg Med. 2011 Nov;29(9):1198-202
- Jang TB, Aubin C, Naunheim R. Lewis LM, Kaji AH. The Predictive Value of Physical Examination Findings in Patients with Suspected Acute Heart Failure Syndrome. Intern Emerg Med. 2012;7:271-4 PMID 22094407
- Jang T, Aubin C, Naunheim R, Lewis LM, Kaji AH. Sonographic Assessment of Jugular Venous Distension and B-type Natriuretic Peptide Levels in Patients with Dyspnoea. Emerg Med J. 2012;29:477-8 . PMID 21515878
- Papa L, Lewis LM, Silvestri S, et al. Serum levels of ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase distinguish mild traumatic brain injury from trauma controls and are elevated in mild and moderate traumatic brain injury patients with intracranial lesions and neurosurgical intervention. J Trauma. 2012;72: 1335–1344. PMID 22673263
- Papa L, Lewis LM, Falk JL, et al. Elevated Levels of Serum Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein Breakdown Products in Mile and Moderate Traumatic Brain Injury Are Associated With Intracranial Lesions and Neurosurgical Intervention. Ann Emerg Med. 2012;59(6):471-83 PMID 22071014
- Miner T, Lewis LM, Mosnaim G, et al. Feasibility of Percutaneous Vagus Nerve Stimulation for the Treatment of Acute Asthma Exacerbations. Acad Emerg Med 2012;19(4):421-9 PMID 22506946
- Horwitz DA, Schwarz EV, Scott M, Lewis LM. Emergency Department Patients With Diabetes Have Better Glycemic Control When They Have An Identifiable Primary Care Provider. Acad Emerg Med 2012; 19(6):650-5 PMID 22632540
- Ruger JP, Lewis LM, Richter CJ. Patterns and factors associated with intensive use of ED services: implications for allocating resources. Am J Emerg Med 2012;30:1884-1894 PMID 22795412
- Schrader C, Lewis LM. Racial disparity in emergency department triage. J Emerg Med 2013;44:511-518 PMID 22818646
- Nowak R, Farrar JR, Brenner BE, Lewis LM, et al. Customizing Anaphylaxis Guidelines for Emergency Medicine. J Emerg Med 2013;45:299-306
- Lewis LM. Angioedema: etiology, pathophysiology, current and emerging therapies. J Emerg Med 2013;45:789-96
- Vedantham S, Goldhaber SZ, Kahn SR, et al. Rationale and design of the ATTRACT study: A multicenter randomized trial to evaluate pharmacomechanical catheter-directed thrombolysis for the prevention of postthrombotic syndrome in patients with proximal deep vein thrombosis. American Heart Journal 2013;165:523-530
- Lewis LM, Ferguson I, House SL, Aubuchon K, Schneider J, et al. Albuterol administration is commonly associated with increases in serum lactate in asthmatics treated for acute exacerbation of asthma. Chest 2014;145(1):53-9
- Lewis LM, Graffeo C, Crosley P, Klausner HA, et al. Ecallantide for the Acute Treatment of Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitor-Induced Angioedema: A Multicenter, Randomized, Controlled Trial. Ann Emerg Med 2014;Published online August 30, 2014 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2014.07.014.
- Schneider J, Lewis LM, House SL, Ferguson I, et al. Are repeated measurements of dyspnea or %FEV1 helpful in predicting hospitalization or relapse in patients treated for moderate to severe acute asthma exacerbations? Respiratory Med 2014. Sep;108(9):1284-91. doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2014.06.006. Epub 2014 Jul 8
- Gomez C, Janosik D. Lewis LM: Transcranial Doppler in the Evaluation of Global Cerebral Ischemia: Syncope and Cardiac Arrest. in: Transcranial Doppler Ultrasonography. St. Louis: Mosby, pp. 141-149, 1993
- Sanders MJ: Mosby’s Paramedic Text. Third edition. Lewis LM and Quick G, Physician Advisors, May 1994
- Kern MJ, Lewis LM (contributing authors): Valvular Heart Disease. Chapter 45. in: Schwartz GR, Cayten CG, Mangelson MA, Mayer T (eds.), Principles and Practice of Emergency Medicine, 4th Edition, 1998
- Sanders MJ: Mosby’s Paramedic Text. Fourth edition. Lewis LM and Quick G, Physician Advisors, February, 2000
- Lewis LM, Levine MD, Dribben WH. Bites and Stings. In: Chapter 8 Interdisciplinary Medicine. Dale DC, Federman DD, eds. WebMD Scientific American Medicine, September, 2002.
- Lewis LM, Levine MD, Dribben WH. Bites and Stings. In: Chapter 8 Interdisciplinary Medicine. Dale DC, Federman DD, eds. WebMD Inc., American New York, 2006.
- Sanders MJ: Mosby’s Paramedic Text. Fifth edition. Lewis LM and Quick G, Physician Advisors. January, 2007
- Lewis LM. The Role of Imaging in Evaluating Emergency Patients with Abdominal Pain. In: Abdominal Emergencies. Cline D and Stead L, (eds.) 2008.
- Lewis LM, Levine MD, Dribben WH. Bites and Stings. In: Chapter 8 Interdisciplinary Medicine. Dale DC, Federman DD, eds. WebMD Inc., American New York, 2011.
- Sanders MJ: Mosby’s Paramedic Text. Sixth edition. Lewis LM and Quick G, Physician Advisors. January, 2012
Letters to the editor
- Lewis LM, Ellison R: EMTALA. Missouri Medicine 1999;96:240-241
- Heston TF, Lewis LM: Gender bias in acute myocardial infarction. Comment on:
- Lewis LM. JCAHO Standards: The death of Common Sense. ACEP News;2003
- Lewis LM. Analysis of costs, length of stay, and utilization of emergency department services by frequent users: implications for health policy. Acad Emerg Med. 2005 Jun;12(6):575; author reply 576.
- Lewis LM, Asplin BR. Pediatric Emergency Departments are not “Little” Adult EDs. Acad Emerg Med 2010 Feb;17(2);202-203
- Lewis LM, Ferguson I, House SL, et al. Response to letter to the editor “Too much testing”. Chest 2014;1456):1436
- Ferguson I, Lewis LM, Papa L, Wang K, Mondello S, Hayes R. Washington University St. Louis, MO; Orlando Regional, Orlando FL; Banyan Biomarkers Inc., Gainesville, MO. Neuronal Biomarkers May Require Age-Adjusted Norms. ACEP Research Forum, Boston MA; October 2011.
- Koperwas M, Matsuda K, Birkhahn R, Lovato LM, Nowak R, Lewis LM. Moderate Exacerbations Of Asthma In The ED Are Associated With Abnormalities in Lactate, Phosphate, Magnesium And CK-MB Levels. ACEP Research Forum, Boston MA; October 2011.
- Papa L, Lewis LM, Falk J, et al. Elevated Levels of Serum Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein Breakdown Products in Mile and Moderate Traumatic Brain Injury Are Associated With Intracranial Lesions and Neurosurgical Intervention. ACEP Research Forum Boston, MA; October, 2011.
- Aubuchon K, Katsuda K, House S, Ferguson I, Schneider J, Lewis LM. Increased serum albuterol concentrations may be associated with increased serum lactate in subjects with acute asthma exacerbation. SAEM Chicago, Illinois May, 2012.
- Papa L, Lewis LM, Falk J, et al. Serum levels of Spectrin Breakdown Product 150 (SBDP150) distinguish mild traumatic brain injury from trauma and uninjured controls and predict intracranial injuries on CT and neurosurgical intervention. SAEM Chicago, IL. May, 2012
- Schneider J, Katsuda K, House S, Ferguson I, Aubuchon K, Lewis LM. Dyspnea Scores may be a better predictor of hospital admissions than FEV1 for patients with acute asthma exacerbation. SAEM Chicago, IL. May, 2012.
- Dwyer E, Fletcher A, Griffey R, Lewis LM. Is Health Literacy Associated with Medication and Dietary Compliance in Patients with Pre-existing Hypertension? SAEM Chicago, IL. May, 2012
- Lewis LM, Ecallantide for acute treatment of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor induced angioedema: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. ACEP Research Forum. Seattle, WA October 15, 2013.
- Moseley E, Luangruangrong L, Lewis LM. A Comparison of Clinical Characteristics Between Episodic and More Continuous Heavy Users of Emergency Department Services. SAEM Annual Meeting San Diego, CA, May 2015
- Luangruangrong L, Moseley E, Lewis LM. Psychiatric Co-Morbidities May Be A Dominant Factor In Predicting Emergency Department Usage Rates. SAEM Annual Meeting San Diego, CA, May 2015