- B.A. English Literature, Vanderbilt University, 1989
- Post-baccalaureate studies Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA, 1993
- M.D. Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA, 1997
- Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency (Brigham and Women’s Hospital/ Massachusetts General Hospital), Boston, MA, 2001
- M.P.H. Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, 2004
Licensure and Board Certification
- Emergency Medicine
Honors and Awards
- Graduate in Psychology Honors Program, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 1989
- Resident Research Award, Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency, Boston, MA, 2000
- Outstanding Attending Physician, Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency Program, Boston, MA, 2001
- Esther B Kahn Foundation Young Investigator Grant Winner, Division of Emergency Medicine, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School Boston, MA, 2003
- Outstanding Reviewer, Academic Emergency Medicine, 2009
- Fellow, American College of Emergency Physicians, 2009
- Pneumonia Clinical Expert, University HealthSystem Consortium Commit to ACTion Program, 2009
- Emergency Medicine Foundation/ Emergency Medicine Patient Safety Foundation Patient Safety Fellow 2012-2013, 2012
- Outstanding Section Newslettter Award, American College of Emergency Physicians, Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Section, 2012
- ACEP Service to College Award for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Section, 2013
- ACEP Outstanding Web page Award for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Section, 2013
- Proctor E, Silmere H, Raghavan R, Hovmand P, Aarons G, Bunger A, Griffey RT, Hensley M. Outcomes for Implementation Research: Conceptual distinctions, measurement challenges, and research questions. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. DOI 10.1007/s10488-010-0319-7
- Liu SW, Chang Y, Weissman J, Griffey RT, Thomas J, Hamedani A, Camargo C, Singer S. An empirical assessment of boarding and quality of care: delays in care among chest pain, pneumonia, and cellulitis patients. Academic Emergency Medicine, 2011, 18(12):1339-1348. DOI: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01082.x
- Carpenter C, Griffey RT, Stark S, Coopersmith CM, Gage BF. Physician and Nurse Acceptance of Geriatric Technicians to Screen for Geriatric Syndromes in the Emergency Department. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2011, 12(4): 489-495.
- Wiler JL, Griffey RT, Olsen T. Review of Modeling Approaches for Emergency Department Patient Flow and Crowding Research. Academic Emergency Medicine 2011, 18(12):1371-1379. DOI: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01135.x
- Griffey RT, Poirier RP, Bavolek R, Trent C, Keeperman J, Sampson C. “Hook-like effect causes false negative point-of-care urine pregnancy testing. Journal of Emergency Medicine. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2011.05.032,
- Wiler JL, Farley H, Zirkin W, Griffey RT. Emergency Severity Index Triage System Correlation with Emergency Department Evaluation and Management Billing Codes and Total Charges. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2011; 18(11):1161-1166. DOI: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01203.x
- Griffey RT, Lo H, Burdick E, Keohane C, Bates DW. Guided Medication Dosing for Elderly Emergency Patients Using Real-Time, Computerized Decision Support. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 2012;19:86-93. doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000124
- Powell BP, McMillen JC, Carpenter CR, Griffey RT, Bunger AC, Glass JE, York JL, Proctor EK. A compilation of Strategies for Implementing Clinical Innovations in Health and Mental Health. Medical Care Research and Review. 10/2011. DOI: 10.1177/1077558711430690
- Griffey RT, Chen B, Krehbiel NW. Performance in appropriate Rh testing and treatment with Rh immunoglobulin in the emergency department. Annals of Emergency Medicine. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2011.11.010,
- Schuur J, Brown M, Graff L, Griffey RT, Hamedani A, Kelly J, Klauer K, Phelan M, Sierzinski P, Raja A. Reliability and Validity of CMS Outpatient Imaging Measure OP-15 (Brain CT in the Emergency Department for Atraumatic Headache). Annals of Emergency Medicine. doi:10.1016/j.annemergmed.2011.12.025
- Wiler JL, Bolandifar E, Griffey RT, Poirier RF, Olsen T. Development of a Novel Emergency Department Patient Flow Model Based on Queueing Theory Principles. Accepted for publication: Academic Emergency Medicine.
- Farley HL, Baumlin KM, Hamedani AG, Cheung D, Edwards MR, Fuller D, Genes N, Griffey RT, Kelly J, Mcclay JC, Neilson J, Phelan MP, Shapiro JS, Stone-Griffith S, Pines JM. Quality and Safety Implications of Emergency Department Information Systems. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2013.05.019
- Carpenter CR, Kaphingst KA, Goodman M, Melson A, Lin M, Griffey RT. Feasibility and Diagnostic Accuracy of Health Literacy Screening Tools in the ED. Academic Emergency Medicine. doi: 10.1111/acem.12315
- Griffey RT, Carpenter CR, Goodman M, Melson A, Lin M, Kaphingst, KA. Does Numeracy correlate with measures of Health Literacy in the Emergency Department? Academic Emergency Medicine. doi: 10.1111/acem.12310
- Griffey RT, Jeffe DS, Bailey T. Emergency Physicians’ Attitudes and Perceptions Regarding CT, Radiation Exposure and Imaging Decision Support. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2014 Jul;21(7):768-777. doi: 10.1111/acem.12410.
- Smith-Bindman R, Aubin C, Bailitz J, Bengiamin RN, Camargo CA, Corbo J, Dean AJ, Goldstein RB, Griffey RT, Jay GD, Kang TL, Kriesel DR, Ma OJ, Mallin M, Manson W, Melnikow J, Miglioretti DL, Miller SK, Mills LD, Miner JR, Moghadassi, M, Noble VE, Press GM, Stoller ML, Valencia VE, Wang J, Wang RC, Cummings SR. Ultrasonography versus Computed Tomography for Suspected Nephrolithiasis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371(12):1100-10.
- Kaphingst KA, Carpenter CR, Goodman M, Griffey RT. Effect of cognitive dysfunction on the relationship between age and health literacy. Patient Educ Couns. 2014 May;95(2):218-25. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2014.02.005. Epub 2014 Feb 22.
- Griffey RT, Shin N, Jones S, Aginam N, Gross M, Kinsella Y, Williams JA, Carpenter CR, Goodman M, Kaphingst KA. The Impact of Teach-Back on Comprehension of Discharge Instructions and Satisfaction among Emergency Patients with Limited Health Literacy: A Randomized, Controlled Study. Journal of Health Communication. (accepted for publication 1/2014)
- Griffey RT, Pines JM, Farley HL, Phelan MP, Beach C, Schuur JD, Venkatesh AK. Chief Complaint–Based Performance Measures: A New Focus for Acute Care Quality Measurement. Accepted for publication. Annals of Emergency Medicine. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2014.07.453
- Griffey RT, Kennedy SK, McGowan LD, Goodman M, Kaphingst KA. Is Low Health Literacy Associated with Increased Emergency Department Utilization and Recidivism? Academic Emergency Medicine. 2014:21 (10):1109-1115
- Goodman MS, Kaphingst KA, Nguyen N, MacMillan WD, Carpenter CR, Griffey RT. Do Single Item Literacy Screener Items Improve the Ability to Predict Inadequate Health Literacy in A Clinical Setting? Accepted for Publication: Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine
- Smith-Bindman R, Moghadassi M, Griffey RT, Camargo CA, Bailitz J, Beland M, Miglioretti DL. Computed Tomography Radiation Dose in Patients with Suspected Urolithiasis. Accepted for Publication JAMA Internal Medicine. June 29 2015.
- Pines JM. Griffey RT. What we have learned from a decade of ED crowding research. Academic Emergency Medicine.
- Griffey RT, Schneider R, Adler, Copp R, Farmer B, Hamedani A, Schuur J, Shapiro M, Sharpe B, Sheridan, Venkatesh A, Vrablik M, Wiler J. Sather. Delphi process to develop an Emergency Medicine Trigger Tool. Journal of Patient Safety.
- Probst MA, Dayan PS, Raja AS, Slovis BH, Yadav K, Lam SH Shapiro JS, Farris C, Griffey RT, Robey TE, Fortin EM, Johnson JO, Chong ST, Davenport M, Grigat DW, Lang EL. Knowledge Translation and Barriers to Imaging Optimization in the Emergency Department: A Research Agenda. Academic Emergency Medicine. Accepted for publication. September 2015.
Books and Book Chapters
- Griffey RT, Ilgen J. Weakness. Chapter in Signs and Symptoms in Emergency Medicine: Literature-based Aprroach to Emergent Conditions. St. Louis: Mosby, Inc. 2006.
- Ruoff B, Griffey RT. Cervical Spine Imaging. Chapter in Schwart’z Emergency Radiology. (in production)
- Griffey RT. Upper Extremity Section Editor; Section XII, Chapters 99-116. In Essential Emergency Imaging. Philadephia: Lippincott, Williams & WilkinsChen B.
- Griffey RT. Radial Head Fractures, in Essential Emergency Imaging. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. 2012 pp 523 – 528.
- Keeperman J, Griffey RT. Monteggia Fracture/Dislocation, in Essential Emergency Imaging. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. 2012
- Washington Manual of Patient Safety. Radiology and Emergency Medicine Chapters. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins (in production).
- Griffey RT. Hydrofluoric Acid Exposure. Clinical Toxicology Review. Massachusetts/ Rhode Island Poison Control System. May 2000;Vol.22, No.8
- Sun B, Griffey, RT. Febrile Seizure. LLSA Literature Review, Critical Decisions in Emergency Medicine, June 2003
- Griffey, RT. Pediatric Minor Head Trauma LLSA Literature Review, Critical Decisions in Emergency Medicine, 2004
- Griffey RT, Kosowsky J. CMS/JCAHO Hospital Quality Measures: Is it the federal grade for quality? Emergency Medicine Reports. September 3, 2007.
- ACEP Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Section Newsletter – December 2010 Vol 12 #1. http://www.acep.org/Content.aspx?id=68840. Accessed May, 2011
- ACEP Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Section Newsletter – March 2011, Vol 12 #2. http://www.acep.org/Content.aspx?id=77072. Accessed May 2011
- “Focus on Low Health Literacy” in ACEP Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Section Newsletter – March 2011, Vol. 12 #2. http://www.acep.org/Content.aspx?id=77072. Accessed May 2011
- American Board of Emergency Medicine. patient safety lifelong learning and self-assessment activity. 2014
- Imaging Decision Support in the Emergency Department: what do providers want and will they use it? Diagnostic Imaging Europe March 2015: 86-88.